European Patent Attorney
The main responsibilities of the position can therefore be summarized as follows:
- Independently manage all aspects of a given global IP portfolio, including drafting and prosecution, and provide IP consulting services to clients’ R&D and business units.
- Support, design, and implement global IP strategy for therapeutic programs.
- Establish, negotiate and advise on all aspects of IP for a wide variety of transactional matters: joint R&D agreements, licensing agreements, business acquisitions, purchase and sale agreements, confidentiality agreements, etc.
- Collaborate with other functions and project teams to address IP activities with cross-functional ramifications.
- Perform freedom to operate, validity and infringement analyses for programs and products dedicated to environmental and life science technologies.
- Support and promote IP awareness within the team community and department collaborators.
- Manage relationships with external advisors as appropriate.
Candidates will also be expected to demonstrate the business acumen and professionalism necessary to advise a multidisciplinary team and corporate functions on patent issues.
It is also important to note that the appointee must be a team player and be able to adapt to working in different project teams as needed. The successful candidate will also have the ability to build effective relationships with clients, R&D scientists, and legal teams, as well as contribute to the high level of performance of the intellectual property consulting firm.
About the candidate
- Successful candidates are likely to have the following profile:
- CEIPI graduate
- Qualified with the EPO or have the willingness to engage in the qualification cycle.
- In-depth and practical knowledge of intellectual property in the field of biologics
- Relevant experience in an in-house IP department of a pharmaceutical or biotech company or in a reputable private practice ;
- Strong academic background in biology/life sciences,
- Ph.D. level
Candidates must be able to demonstrate the following personal qualities:
- Demonstrate strategic thinking skills
- Possess the commercial understanding and business acumen to use intellectual property as a business tool;
- Be an excellent communicator with strong oral and written skills;
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills as well as the ability to easily build relationships at all levels of the organization;
- Be highly motivated and self-directed, with the ability to proactively organize a challenging workload;
- Be flexible, adaptable, and comfortable working in a multi-cultural, high-performance organization with high ethical and behavioral standards;
- Be accustomed to managing projects in a multi-disciplinary team environment;
- Ability to build effective relationships with R&D scientists, legal and business teams;
- Focus and attention to detail with common sense;
- Act with integrity and demonstrate a positive, proactive, and engaging attitude.
- Team player with a collaborative and knowledge-sharing attitude.
Geographical area: Brussels or Paris – Lyon