To strengthen our drug discovery activities, we seek an entrepreneurial and established Director of Pre-Clinical Pharmacology to lead our pre-clinical pharmacology team and inititatives.
The role consist of 2 main missions:
- To manage the In Vivo pharmacology/histology team (currently 3 people) to ensure efficient implantation of In Vivo models and candidate evaluation. Identification and access to external models and partners, balance of resources, budget preparation and follow-up etc.
- Together with the MedChem Director, Head of In Vitro pharmacology and Head of Research, the person will participate to scientifically drive our drug discovery programs. Establishing and managing collaborations, developing translational sciences including access to patient/human samples, scientific support in disease positioning of our candidates will be part of this mission.
The new Director Pre-Clinical Pharmacology will be responsible for the identification, implementation and processing of In Vivo disease models (in particular in kidney, liver and/or lung chronic diseases) to support the characterization and validation of our advanced candidates. Being accountable for the identification of most appropriate readouts, state-of-the-art protocols and technologies, adequate quality in protocols design, experimental activities and results analysis and interpretation.
Regular presentations to pre-clinical and to larger audience and/or management will be part of the role.
The position is located in our French site in Archamps, however, a strong and efficient interaction with the In Vitro pharmacology team located in our Swiss site is required to ensure excellent cooperation between In Vitro and In Vivo candidate/targets mechanisms characterization and biomarkers identification.
Key tasks and responsibilities
In Vivo pharmacology responsibilities:
- Manage, lead and develop the In Vivo pharmacology team
- Support administrative management of the animal facilities
- Supervise histology activities
- Identify and set up In Vivo models to support pre-clinical programs
- Identify program priorities and translate them for In Vivo/histology activities
- Ensure proper experiment design, selection of appropriate readouts, integration of histology, adequate results reporting and QC/QA
- Define and adjust internal/external resources balance
- Ensure up-to-date literature in relevant field and models
- Develop biomarkers activities
- Work closely with Head of Research, Head of In Vitro pharmacology and MedChem Director on program strategies and provide scientific support – Identify, propose and implement actions to progress efficiently internal drug discovery programs
- Identify, set-up and manage external collaborations (CRO, academic) to access novel In Vivo models or any supportive activities
- Identify, set-up and manage collaborations for translational sciences, including access to patients/human samples, biomarkers identification
- Weekly work with In Vitro teams (especially with scientists working on target mechanistic activities) to ensure efficient translation and back-translation of In Vivo/In Vitro results and strategies
- Ensure adequate quality in experiments and data analysis, interpretation and reporting
- Ensure adequate protocol design in regards to state-of-the-art scientific and technologic knowledge
- Train and develop team members and coach scientists
Education and experience requirements
- PhD in Biology or equivalent by experience In Vivo pharmacology, In Vivo models design and management
- Seasoned scientist with a minimum of 10 years of relevant expertise In Vivo pharmacology and/or translational sciences with team management experience.
- Several years of expertise in drug discovery/pre-clinical obtained in pharma industry (biotech, pharma) is mandatory
- Proven track record in In Vivo model for kidney and/or fibrotic disease is strongly preferred. Expertise in immune-inflammation or immune-oncology is an advantage
- Enthusiastic team and entrepreneurial spirit, ability to work in a biotech environment, strong leadership, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Certificate “concepteur de projet scientifique utilisant des animaux d’expérimentation” or similar
- Fluent in French is a strong advantage, English is mandatory
Applications only accepted on Calliditas career website : Director Pre-Clinical Pharmacology – Calliditas Therapeutics
Reasons to join the Calliditas Team
- Be a part of a global leader in IgA-Nephropathy and a rapidly growing commercial-stage pharmaceutical company within specialty products with strong growth ambitions and a strong pipeline
- Fast paced small company environment
- A unique corporate culture
- Dedicated, experienced and highly skilled colleagues
- Participate on bonus and benefit programs
Welcome to join the Calliditas Team!
Calliditas is a commercial stage biopharmaceutical company focused on identifying, developing and commercializing novel treatments in orphan indications, with an initial focus on renal and hepatic diseases with significant unmet medical needs.
Calliditas’ lead product, developed under the name Nefecon, has been granted accelerated approval by the FDA under the trade name TARPEYO® and conditional marketing authorization by the European Commission under the trade name KINPEYGO®.
TARPEYO and KINPEYGO® are the first and only treatments approved for IgA nephropathy by the FDA and EMA, respectively.
Calliditas also has a pipeline in orphan-focused indications. Calliditas is conducting a Phase 2b/3 clinical trial in primary biliary cholangitis and a Phase 2 proof-of-concept trial in head and neck cancer with its NOX inhibitor product candidate, setanaxib.
Calliditas’ common shares are listed on Nasdaq Stockholm (ticker: CALTX) and its American Depositary Shares are listed on the Nasdaq Global Select Market (ticker: CALT).